Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Do they count trucks in Bedford Falls?

The first breezes of summer always lure me to my "front stoop." Maybe it's just a brief lapse, a Jimmy Stewart moment, where my Capra-esque reality includes sitting on my front steps greeting neighbors, maybe a glass of wine, and gazing up through the boughs of a few old Elms...ahhhhh. I am transported. I am in Bedford Falls. Scratch that. I glance down at the glass beside me and it is in motion. A semi is peeling down Cumberland, and I kid you not, my glass has moved a fraction of an inch. Not a seismic event by most standards, but enough to get my attention. So....I have a plan. I am going to find a seismograph and monitor the vibrations of every semi that shakes my home as it uses Cumberland as a preferred north/south route. Perhaps every home on Cumberland could be wired to the street and we could calculate the cumulative "after shocks." Maybe if they reach tsunami proportions Mayor Frimark's glassy gaze would flicker, wave, move,....SOMETHING...and we would see evidence of some glimmer of understanding. I am prepared to wait until I see that glimmer. I just have to find a pulse first.

8 comments:

ParkRidgeUnderground said...

Welcome to blogging! You've got a good sense of humor and we've enjoyed reading your early offerings -- we're looking forward to more.

Er, eh...maybe you could lose the word verification (CAPTCHA), it's pretty user unfriendly; just a thought.

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the post Underground. Not sure what you're referencing....word verification?...yes, I am THAT new to blogging.

ParkRidgeUnderground said...

Your visitors are required to type/copy into a word verification box a wavy set of letters -- that aren't always very readable -- they can see displayed below the comment box. They have to do that in order to post a comment.

Also, you do not have comment moderation enabled. You may want to do that too.

The settings for these things can be found on your blogger dashboard -- click the settings button, then comments tab, should you want to change them.

Spammers love unmoderated comments.

Just an fyi.

Anonymous said...

With those first breezes of summer will come an even greater concern - increased pathogens from the exhaust of cars and diesel trucks! The adverse effects have been associated with an increase risk of heart attacks in adults and asthma in children.
http://uscnews.usc.edu/hscweekly/detail.php?recordnum=13364
So when you find a seismograph, get something to monitor the air quality too.

Adrienne said...

Ahhhh....a fine idea. Do you think they compete with the O' Hare jet fumes or is it all one big, nasty cocktail of toxic fumes?

Anonymous said...

Some time ago I contacted the IL EPA wanting info on O'Hare's effect on local air quality. I learned that a greater concern was vehicle exhaust because its tendency to settle in low areas, whereas the jet pollution can be carried away on air currents.

Adrienne said...

Thanks Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Well said.